Typos on the book

Dec 7, 2011 at 3:52 PM

Hi Jason,

I imagine this isn't the proper place to point some typos in your book but I'll do it anyway. Let me know later if there's any other place to do it.

About the typos:
When creating the resource views over the Structured or Append/Consume buffers the book states that we should use the following resource format: DXGI_FORMAT_R32_UNKNOWN.

This format doesn't even exists and the correct resource format would be DXGI_FORMAT_UNKNOWN.

I currently don't have the book with me but I'm almost sure that I saw this in section 2.2 or 2.3.

Again my apologies if I shouldn't be posting this here.

Thanks,
-Fernando.

Coordinator
Dec 7, 2011 at 6:25 PM

Hello Fernando,

Thank you for pointing that out.  This brings up a good point - I need to find somewhere to post information about typos and corrections in the book...  I suppose I could post them somewhere here on the documentation tab, or perhaps as a part of the distribution of the source code (or both).  What do you guys think - which way would be more useful for you?

- Jason

Dec 7, 2011 at 6:47 PM

I vote for the Documentation tab.
This way the source code, the discussion group and the errata would be centralized.

BTW the pages for the above typos are: 63 and 65. I also noticed that these are even present in the SDK's doc. But I think that's because the SDK will no longer be updated... Online doc is correct though : http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ff476096(v=vs.85).aspx

Dec 7, 2011 at 7:05 PM

Hello Jason,

I tought you had a webpage dedicated to the book.

If Hieroglyph3 website is used for that purpose, probably a topic in the documentation tab is the best to have a centralized place.

-- Francois Piette

Coordinator
Dec 7, 2011 at 7:55 PM

There is actually a website that I started at http://hieroglyph3.wordpress.com, but I was planning on moving it to another address before really publicizing it.  In any case, whichever place it goes, I can always link from one site to the other - as long as it is easy for the user to find then I think it is worth adding.  I'll get started here on the Documentation tab, and we'll adjust as needed.

Thanks again for the help!

- Jason