Missing MSR_NuiApi.h

Dec 23, 2011 at 10:55 AM

Hello,

The file MSR_NuiApi.h is missing from SVN repository (Rev 72653).

Dec 23, 2011 at 11:19 AM

I found that this file is part of the Kinect SDK. Which has to be downloaded and installed.

Coordinator
Dec 23, 2011 at 2:06 PM

Hi Francois,

That is right - only the KinectPlayground sample uses / requires the Kinect SDK.  I did this because the SDK is only supported on Windows 7 or 8, which means that anyone running Vista would not be able to use Hieroglyph 3 if I required the SDK.

However, I can and should update the installation instructions to reflect this.  Thank you for mentioning it, and I'll get the update added to the next commit.

- Jason

Dec 23, 2011 at 2:35 PM

Probably you should create a separate "solution" (MSVC speaking) for the not main stream samples so that the average user don't need to install additionals SDK.

Coordinator
Dec 23, 2011 at 4:35 PM

That is a possibility, but I feared that it would lead to questions about why someone couldn't see the Kinect samples in the main solution.  I suppose this is the opposite problem that you had, where it was available and you didn't necessarily want to use it...

I will give some thought to how to organize a separate set of projects and/or solutions.  In general I like to keep everything together in one solution to ensure that everything continues to build as changes are made to each project, but in this case I think you are right - it should be in its own area.

- Jason

Dec 23, 2011 at 6:41 PM

You may still have a single solution for everything and nevertheless have several smaller solutions.

As a developper, I always find interesting to have something which let me test if I haven't unadvertenly made my software dependent on something unwanted. That's also why a try to never use global setting for headers, libraries and source code but instead has each project has explicit dependencies I can easily control.