Beginner

Mar 29, 2012 at 12:05 PM

I recently purchased the book to help me get up to speed for a specific project.  At this point I am able to compile and run the example Hieroglyph 3 code. 

My intent is to start at the beginning and try to fully understand the platform, but I would like to know if Direct3D is appropriate for what I am trying to accomplish.  I need to create a long narrow image and draw it along a three dimentional path.  I can render the image in any of the standard formats supported by Windows and I can render it as a single long image or as a series of contiguous pages (whichever is more appropriate). 

The customer supplies me with geographic coordinates and depths and I need to draw the image along that three dimentional space.  Once the 3D image is rendered, the user needs to be able to rotate and zoom in and out.

Is Direct3D the right platform and if so, are there examples that I should focus on to get up-to-speed quickly?

Coordinator
Mar 30, 2012 at 2:52 AM

This sounds like it should be very easy to do with Direct3D.  Do you have hardware requirements that you need to adhere to?

The rendering operations that you are describing should not be difficult to get working.  If I understand correctly, you are basically just going to be using textured quads that are placed around a specified path, and then to allow the camera to rotate and/or zoom around it.

One thing I didn't quite understand was the part about standard formats supported by Windows - do you mean to save a screenshot of the image?

Mar 30, 2012 at 3:36 AM

Thank you for responding.  My users have current hardware, so that should not be a problem.

With regard to the "standard formats," I just meant to indicate that the source of the images could be just about anything (PNG, JPEG, GIF, BMP, etc.).  The end result I am looking for would appear to be a ribbon with the images drawn on it. 

Since I am not familiar with the 3D rendering or terminology; I will try to describe the effect I need to accomplish:

1. draw the images on the ribbon using standard 2D techniques as if the ribbon were laying on a flat surface
  2. lay the ribbon on a 3D surface and have it conform to the curvature of the surface

There was a demonstration program that came with OpenGL on Windows NT about 15 years ago that had an image of the Windows logo on a flag that was blowing in the wind. I am trying to do something similar except the image will not be animated but will be more like a snapshot of the waving flag. Then as you say in your response, the user will want to be able to change the camera's position around the object and move closer to and further from the object.

I hope I have made this clearer...it is difficult since I don't speak the language.  I really appreciate your help.

Coordinator
Apr 1, 2012 at 1:14 PM

This should be possible.  I would recommend taking a look at the water simulation sample.  This makes a grid, and then looks up in a resource how to offset the height of each point in the grid.  You should be able to modify the sample to look up the bitmaps instead, and then just change the size of the grid to be the strip that you are looking for.

Will this be in a Hieroglyph 3 application, or a custom one that you are writing?

Apr 1, 2012 at 5:41 PM

Thanks, I will look at the water simulation example.

The application I need to modify is an MFC application. My intent is either to add a splitter view to the existing view or to toggle between the existing view and the 3D view.

I am currently looking at the Hieroglyph 3 MFC example to see if either or both of these options are possible.

Thanks again for your help.