OpenGL4

Apr 12, 2012 at 7:10 PM

Hello,

(Of course) I have noticed that there is some sort of a purely abstract renderer interface in Hieroglyph, which is a really nice thing. However, if there is the performance overhead associated with virtual methods, wouldn't it be nice to make better use of them? F.I. have you ever considered to implement OpenGL (4.x) version of the renderer (alongside the DX renderer)? I mean the DX11 renderer is really nice, but if the Hieroglyph could run on win XP, Mac, Unix or whatever it would be even nicer, wasn't it? This is maybe a bit more like a rhetorical question, but I'd really like to know what do you think about this. 

Thank you.

- Tomas

Coordinator
Apr 14, 2012 at 11:59 AM
Edited Apr 14, 2012 at 12:00 PM

That renderer interface was originally added to the engine because I had a DX9 renderer and was adding DX11 support.  It would probably be possible to update the DX9 renderer and add it back in, but that would be quite a bit of work without that much benefit...  TheDX9 level support is built into DX11 with feature levels.  The only benefit is that it would run on XP, but I think that isn't such a big audience anymore (most people have access to at least one Win7 machine...).

Building an OpenGL renderer could be interesting too, but it would be a huge undertaking.  If someone wants to build such an interface, I would certainly consider adding it to the code base, but in general I want to focus on improving the existing renderer and begin extending it for use on Win8 and Metro style apps!

If you want to see a good multiplatform engine, you could always take a look at the Wild Magic engine at www.geometrictools.com or perhaps Ogre...