Hieroglyph 3 for "creative coding"

Aug 11, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Hi, first off I really enjoy the book "practical rendering and computation with direct3d11". I think the content is clearly explained and well structured.

This I just something that came to my mind recently since I have looked into frameworks for creative coding and real-time installations like openFrameworks (http://www.openframeworks.cc/) and Cinder (http://libcinder.org/). I think hieroglyph is ideally suited for becoming a creative coding framework because of its thin abstraction approach. Instead of developing hieroglyph into "just another" engine, one could develop hieroglyph 3 into a creative coding framework like the ones above.

The major difference however to those already stated would be its direct3d11 rendering capability which would make it a ideal candidate for creative coding on windows7 and possibly windows8. Since most of the creative coding frameworks are stuck with older open gl implementations that would make hieroglyph kind of unique.

Coordinator
Aug 17, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Hello,

Thanks for the comments on the book - I really appreciate your feedback.

I also think there is a good possibility to move Hieroglyph in the direction of a creative coding framework.  I posted a short blog post some time ago on gamedev.net that took inspiration from the Processing framework.  Really, if you make it easier just get to the pipeline and get something done, then it should 'allow' people to be more creative.  Great suggestion :)

Do you have a wishlist of items that you think would help in this area?  What type of features do you think it would take to make this happen?

Aug 23, 2012 at 9:59 AM

you already have kinect support so that's a big plus. Jamming threw the feature set of other frameworks really helps to get a feel for what people might need. http://libcinder.org/features/ On top of my head the things I can think of are:

- Basic 2D shapes and 3D primitives. Although I don't know is something like gl::drawSphere() is the right way to go here. I do like your apprach to be able to not use a scene graph if it is not necessary.

-tweening classes for simple animations, bezier path tweening

- simple gui and font rendering ( you already have part of that i think)

- maybe more math utility functions ( although one could use directXMath aswell)

- supporting touch input

- supporting multiple screens

- maybe even something like a bullet module for physics (would be fun)

- a sound module

I bet there's a lot more ...

It's really up to you what you want to do with hieroglyph and what level of abstraction you want to choose. As far as I know if you keep up the win8 development hieroglyph might be the first creative coding framework which supports windows8 with a dx11 style render, if that's attractive for you or not is really up to you.

Nov 8, 2012 at 8:40 AM

I could submit something like the directXMath and sound module parts when I write them in the near future,since I need them anyway for my projects too xD