Do you develop on Windows 8?(related to support of ID3DUserDefinedAnnotation)

Mar 28, 2013 at 7:55 PM
When I DXTrace the creation of ID3DUserDefinedAnnotation, I get a E_NOINTERFACE error, so basically I don't support it, even tho I'm including/linking the required dependencies described here http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/hh446881(v=vs.85).aspx and running on Windows7.It says that it should support windows 7 with platform update, however even manually updating from the MS website tells me "The update is not applicable to your computer"(both the x64 and x86 versions).Maybe it's a good idea to add some macro to determine wether to use ID3DUserDefinedAnnotation(if the user;s OS is above 7) or the old method if he is with 7.
Coordinator
Mar 28, 2013 at 10:05 PM
My main development machines still have Windows 7 on them, but I do have access to a Windows 8 machine. When I implemented this, I saw the same behavior that you are describing - that on Win7 it wasn't available, so I left it to use the older D3DPerf functions. I'll try these out again today and see if it is still behaving the same way.

But if you don't get the interface back, it should be automatically using the old functions already (since the m_pAnnotation member would be null). Is it not doing that?
Mar 28, 2013 at 10:12 PM
must be something in my settings, but the debugger treats it as an error.I just surrounded it with a if(featurelevel == D3D_FEATURE_LEVEL_11_1) and since I init with D3D_FEATURE_LEVEL_11_0 it works fine
Coordinator
Mar 28, 2013 at 10:29 PM
I just double checked, and I must have gotten the platform update because PIX won't let me debug the applications anymore. When it queries for the annotation it is properly returned with an S_OK hresult for all of the threads (on immediate and deferred contexts).

I happen to have the Graphics Debugger available in my VS2012 installation, and it is working properly and nesting the calls as it should in the event list. I'm not sure why your installation is having issues... Have you done any other installs lately that could have affected the runtime and/or your VS2012 installation?
Mar 29, 2013 at 2:01 AM
Ok I'm gonna check it out I'll implement the performance event functions in my framework and see how it goes.