Weird idea/suggestion for a sample project in the solution.

Mar 29, 2013 at 1:51 AM
Seeing as you accept suggestions for expanding the engine functionality, I thought I'd share one here:

-Seekers Sample - actors with frustum bounding volumes move all around in a forward direction(confined in a large bounding box).If an actor leaves the bounding box, he is forced to change his direction to the opposite and return inside, so they won't scatter out of view.So imagine there are 30 seeker actors generated in the scene.Then there is an enum Color{ red, green, blue }; 10 of the actors have their color flag set to red, 10 to blue and the others green.Maybe the seeker actors have an event handling mechanism, so when they collide they check eachother's color flag.When a red one gets collides with a blue one, the red one changes direction to run from the blue one and the blie one changes it to chase the red one, on the other hand blue ones run/get chased by green ones and green ones run/get chased from red ones.It's a more "gameplay" than a "graphics" sample, but I supposed something similar would demonstrate the "game making" potential of the framework.
Mar 29, 2013 at 2:00 AM
Edited Mar 29, 2013 at 2:03 AM
Something like this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeQwmH3HwNo something like roboter mechanics?

for the "game making" potential im on the way to make a game maker like Unity3D that based on Hieroglyph 3 but for the purposes to help me and ease the process of making my game i have in mind. (I make a 2D game, but i will try to cover the 3D case too as good as i can)
Coordinator
Mar 29, 2013 at 3:07 PM
That sounds like an interesting sample idea, but at the moment I am trying to focus on the graphical aspects. There will eventually be the need to produce a game sample, but there is still much work to be done on the engine...

Even so, the concept might allow for a good mix of gameplay and rendering effects. I will keep this in mind and if the chance arises, then I will consider this idea. Of course, I am always willing to accept contributed samples if you want to see this happen sooner :)
Mar 29, 2013 at 8:40 PM
Edited Mar 29, 2013 at 8:42 PM
Samples ideas i like are:
-Virtual Texturing (Mega Texture)
-Streaming content
-Instancing
-Post-Effects (Nice to have Samples but not necessary)
Mar 30, 2013 at 5:14 AM
well there are instancing and post-effects samples(CS ambient occlusion) not sure if virtual texturing is possible under these conditions, I mean he would have to include a 2gb texture to demonstrate the concept + it's a more advanced technique and not just a "sample"
Coordinator
Mar 30, 2013 at 3:02 PM
Yeah, there are a few places that use instancing already, and the number of them is increasing. Post effects is a fairly broad category, so if you have any ideas about specific samples that you would like, then please let me know which you would like to see.

Virtual texturing and streaming are also interesting (and related) ideas. I agree with Crayon0000 that it would be impractical to include a 2 GB texture, but this could be worked around by having the texture be generated the first time your run the sample.

I have to admit, I don't have any expertise in this area, but it is interesting nonetheless. Interestingly, at work I am building some methods for rendering very large datasets, so I see some potential for overlap there :) I'll let you know when I make some useful progress!
Apr 4, 2013 at 7:43 AM
Edited Apr 4, 2013 at 10:44 AM
Btw what do you think about Light Propagation Volumes as a global illumination technique?Any chance of planning to display something similar?It's kind of a mystery to me, it seems simple in theory, but the spherical harmonics tend to get incredibly complex + there's the range issue where you have to implement cascades for outdoor scenes.There's a sample in the Nvidia 11 SDK, I guess I might research SH from there.
edit - after playing around with the nvidia sample, the performance and functionality was terrible and for 3k lines of shader code, weird..anyway I found a better one here http://blog.blackhc.net/tag/lpv/ it's a little older version, however it still does the job and gives me 10 FPS more, thought you might be interested to check it out and share impressions.
Coordinator
Apr 5, 2013 at 10:39 AM
Thanks for the link and the suggestion. I have read one of the early papers on light propagation volumes, and I think I can get the spherical harmonics working. I'll check out the reference that you posted, and see about the possibility to get something up and running.

Can you think of a particular scene or situation that would show off the effect the best way?
Apr 5, 2013 at 1:32 PM
Edited Apr 5, 2013 at 1:34 PM
Well I think the room model you use for deferred shading is perfect, since it has normals and big planar surfaces to show the lighting, did you model it yourself?I think most people use a room with lots of whites to show more clearly how the light bounces off, this guy has a sample model in .ojb http://www.gamedev.net/topic/631030-global-illumination-test-scene-for-you-p/ Last time I was trying to get color bleeding with a form of ambient occlusion I made a tower surrounded by colored cubes, I've re-exported them again as .obj, not sure if you'll be able to load them tho, my models tend to be buggy: http://www.4shared.com/rar/psyZOiew/RSM_SM4_Test_Scene.html also the texture paths in the .mtl can be weird

edit - I noticed that in games the GI effect actually looks a lot better viewed from above at flat surfaces(the sides of the cargo containers in the new C&C trailers) while in games where everything is colorful and organically shaped it's barely noticeable(Crysis games)