Particle System issue(maybe it only happens on my side?)

Aug 18, 2013 at 1:06 PM
Hello, on the Particle Storm sample I noticed that if I leave it for long enough the particles tend to move and clump up in stacks and they look like "rays" and when I close in the camera on a ray I get an FPS drop, probably cause of the overdraw, it's like hundreds of them clumping up in 1 place.Does that happen to you as well?Maybe it's cause I'm using one of the first shader model 5 gpus(some mobile HD 5000 series), since I've also had some issues with other samples that rely heavily on compute shaders.I'll have to test it on another PC later, just curious if you've noticed such issues in the sample.
Coordinator
Aug 22, 2013 at 1:15 AM
I noticed this back when I didn't throttle the number of particles being generated. Now I ensure that the number of particles is always smaller than a threshold amount, since they die over time and the introduction rate is limited.

I also remember seeing that beam/ray on my AMD 5700 series GPU when the drivers were not really mature and I was still developing the sample. Basically if the particle append/consume buffers got out of sync with one another then the beam would show up. It basically because the contents of the buffer are not really representing particles, but the count is larger than it should be and they get rendered anyways.

Have you updated your drivers? Perhaps you could try running on the reference device for a while and see if the same thing happens? How long do you have to wait until you see the issue?