Moving to Git

Coordinator
Jun 22, 2014 at 1:56 PM
I have used SVN for Hieroglyph 3 since well before it was publicly released, but I have been considering a move to Git for quite some time. I use Git at work, and the workflows are much more flexible, and it is easier to accept contributions from others.

I checked into converting the SVN repo to Git here on Codeplex, and they can convert it for us and still keep the commit history. Unless someone has a strong reason not to switch, I plan to initiate the change in the coming week. Once it happens, I will update the project page and add some instructions for getting started.

Does anyone have any objections?
Aug 1, 2014 at 8:16 AM
Hi Jason,

I think moving to Git is a great idea. Did you already do it ? I cannot find the git repository URL to get Hieroglyph 3 source code and its commit log.
Actually I cannot find the SVN repository URL neither. Is it written somewhere on this site ?
Aug 1, 2014 at 8:31 AM
I got it, the SVN repo URL is https://hieroglyph3.svn.codeplex.com/svn
Coordinator
Aug 5, 2014 at 9:55 PM
Hi Wil,

I haven't made the change just yet, but I am going to initiate it soon. I just wanted to leave enough time for comments if someone didn't want the project to change over. The Codeplex team has to make the change, so I have to kick that process off with them. I'll post back here as soon as the process is completed.

Thanks for the comment!

Jason
Aug 6, 2014 at 3:25 AM
Hi Jason,

Thank you for the update.
So you will still be using the Codeplex platform, right?
At first I thought you would move to Github, but I remembered you could use Git on Codeplex too.
Anyway I personally think it's a good idea. I found (and surely am not the only one) that with Git it's easier to test new ideas, handle code changes, and share code.
The only problem I can think of is the way Git handles big binary files. Frequent in video games, they are data files updated often, that end up taking a lot of space in the repository. However I don't think this will be a problem with Hieroglyph3, since it seems to me that there is not that much binary files, and they are maybe not updated that often.

Wil