I'm feeling helpless, so what can I do to get started?

Dec 4, 2014 at 9:35 PM
Dear authors:
I'm reading your book <Practical Rendering and Computation with Direct3D 11>. It is said to be a wonderful book, so I decided to learn it. I have read Frank D. Luna's <Introduction to 3D Game Programming with DirectX 9.0c)>, and some portions of the DX 11 edition also, so I think there won't be too many problems learning this book. But ...

But I just don't know how to get started! I found the source code of the Hieroglyph 3 framework from the "SOURCE CODE" tab of this website (after some examination, you know, since there's nothing in the "DOWNLOADS" tab), but I can't just get it running! Well, according to the ReadMe.txt file that can be found in the Hieroglyph3 file folder, I have to get Windows 8 SDK, Lua and DirectXTK to get it up and running, but what are the exact steps? Am I supposed to download these stuff and put them into the Dependencies subfolder? Or do I need to configure the project in VS 2012? But I found myself at sea after opening the Hieroglyph3_Desktop file with VS 2012 ---- there are so many things inside and I just don't know what to do! And the contents in the solution properties menu are quite different from what I saw in the past days!

The book itself doesn't say much about how to get the framework running in the Appendix. So I consult the "DOCUMENTATION" tab of this website, only to find that it only said little about the specific steps except the conversion from a vs 2008 project file into a vs 2010 one. So can I say this is a bit out-dated?

So, can you tell me what can I do to run even the simplest sample of the book? I'm really helpless. Or maybe I'd better download the older edition that accompanied this book? Unfortunately, I am not able to find that...
Coordinator
Dec 20, 2014 at 4:44 PM
Hello,

As far as getting the first sample to run, the solution file that you are working with should have everything already set up that you need. Lua and DirectXTK should both be automatically handled - Lua source code is included in the project, and the DirectXTK dependency should be auto downloaded as a NuGet package.

So after opening the Hieroglyph3_Desktop.sln file in VS2012, you should be able to hit "Rebuild All", and the projects will build in the proper sequence. Then to run one of the samples, you right click on it in the solution explorer, and set is as the startup project (its name will show up as bold when it is selected). Once you do that, you can simply press F5 and the sample should run.

I am in the process of updating to VS2013, and hopefully will have an updated commit to show soon. Sorry about the documentation tab here, it is indeed woefully out of date. Perhaps I can update that with the new VS2013 update...
Coordinator
Dec 20, 2014 at 9:41 PM
The most recent commit has the VS2013 project and solution files in it. Please give it a try and let me know how you fare!
Jun 19, 2016 at 10:41 PM
Edited Jun 19, 2016 at 11:07 PM
Hi it's 2016 now and I still have hope of being able to start up this Hieroglyph thing although I haven't been able for years (a few subsequent tries) errm...what is it I should watch out for? I'm getting the "could not create a hardware or software direct3d 11 device" error message. Please help me I really believe in this book!
I have Visual Studio Express 2013 and Windows 10 installed. Yup, the SDK is there too.

edit I think the last thing I did before it started working (it actually did I'm so happy) was that I removed the june2010 SDK